Offsite Media Storage

Offering Offsite Media Storage by Sterling Data StorageOffsite media storage is considered much better way of protecting your precious data, compared to on-site storage. Loss of data can severely cripple a business organization, and even lead to its closure within a few years. According to studies conducted in this field, it has been seen that hardware failure and human error account for 76% of data loss across the globe. Whereas, remaining 24% contributing factors include software corruption, virus attacks, and natural disasters.
Every organization has some form of backup plan for their data, and most rely on on-site backup devices. However, this type of plan is observed to be not effective in most cases, as it has a major flaw. With the growing instability of weather conditions and increasing amount of earthquakes around the world, the physical location of a business is no longer secure. Natural disasters can strike at any time, and there is always the possibility of building catching fire due to electrical fault or by accident. If all the backup storage is on site, the business can lose all its critical data in one shot.That’s why it is crucial to invest in offsite media storage.

Software For Offsite Media Storage

In offsite media storage, the data is backed up on tapes or optical devices and physically transferred to a remote location. This is the best way of archiving important information, as the safety of the data is not dependent on the existence of the premises, or machines operating on the business premises. However, the storage media used, should be reliable enough to last for many years, and the remote archiving facility should be adequately equipped to keep such media in very good condition. Therefore, it is important to rely on professional facilities that specifically cater to these requirements.
Optical and magnetic media are extremely sensitive and can be damaged easily. They need specific storage conditions in order to maintain their quality and data integrity. Typically, such a facility should be able to maintain the optimum temperature and humidity conditions required for such storage. For long-term media storage, the ideal temperature should be controlled between fifteen and twenty-five degrees centigrade and humidity should not go above 40%. Secondly, there should be an effective filtration system to keep out dust and corrosive particles.

Offsite Media Storage Solutions For Business

The structure of the building should of course be strong, and should be built as per specified standards for surviving earthquakes. The floors and inside areas should keep to advanced fire regulations, and be equipped with heat sensors and smoke detectors.
Apart from having the ideal conditions, the storage facility should also have a proper security system in place. The inside of the vault area should be monitored, and only authorized personnel should be allowed access with password authorization.

At Sterling Data Storage, we provide state of the art facility for offsite media storage that is fully equipped to protect your data.